Friday, April 6, 2012

Speckled Butterfly Easter Eggs

It's not too late to make these beautiful eggs for your Easter dinner place settings or as a spring decoration.  They were inspired by a Martha Stewart creation but she used oversized paper egg boxes and hollowed chicken eggs.  I couldn't find the boxes and the idea of hollowing out eggs sounded like a giant mess waiting to happen. 
Luckily, I found an easier and cleaner way for about 50 cents an egg. 
Thank you Dollar Store!

Materials:
jumbo sized plastic eggs
cream spray paint
brown craft paint/toothbrush
butterfly cardstock

I found these jumbo sized eggs at The Dollar Store and they were the perfect size. :)
 I was worried the color would be too bright to cover, but I primed the eggs, then added a few coats of spray paint and it did the trick. 
***Do not use a prime and paint spray paint combo or the paint will run down.***
I put some light brown craft paint on an old toothbrush and speckled the eggs.

 Then I cut out some butterflies and Mod Podged them on.
Here's another option instead of speckling the eggs with paint.  I used a brown ink pad and sponge on this one.  I like the aged look the ink gives it.
I think they look really cute in these bowls with Spanish moss as a make-shift bird's nest. I added some simple name cards and my Easter dinner place settings are done.

 Happy Easter!
~ Cindy Jane
Don't forget to enter our giveaway HERE!



26 comments:

  1. I just LOVE these eggs! Butterflies are so fun for spring, and the colors are fab with the moss and speckling! Gonna have to make a run to the store tomorrow...lol Excited to find your cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janis! Have fun with your weekend project. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh so PRETTY!!!!!!!! I just Adore the butterflies! What a great idea to paint the plastic eggs!

    I hope you'll share this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality :)
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.ca/2012/04/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! I lucked out and found the perfect butterfly paper. :) We'll definitely link up! Thanks for the invite!

      Delete
  3. What a great place setting. The eggs look amazing in the Spanish moss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ma che belle le vostre uova!!!E che dire delle farfalle?!!!!Semplicemente favolose!Mi unisco ai vostri sostenitori e "così... a tutto cuore "vi auguro una felice e serena Pasqua ..Patry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patry! I'm so happy you're following our blog! Happy Easter to you too!

      Delete
  5. This is a super amazing project, love the look of the Eggs. I just pinned it on Pinterest.
    Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks for stopping by, Paula, and pinning! :)

      Delete
  6. These are sooooo beautiful! I can't believe they started out as crazy bright plastic eggs. Definitely going to remember this one for next Easter. I really hope that you're going to link this up at Etcetorize this week~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linking up for sure! So glad you like them. They were super easy, so that's always a bonus! Have a great week!

      Delete
    2. Easter is over, but I don't care...I'm still featuring your gorgeous eggs at the Etcetorize party tonight! I hope you'll stop by to grab a featured button and link up again.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for featuring them! I agree though, they don't have to be just for Easter...I'm going to keep mine out all spring. Have a great week!

      Delete
  7. It's a little late for this now, but I "pinned" it so I'm good. happy day Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks for pinning! What did we do before Pinterest? :)

      Delete
  8. Your butterfly eggs are gorgeous! I would love it if you would share them on my new linky party Dare to Share.

    Pam
    http://pamspartyplanning.blogspot.com/2012/04/dare-to-share-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your project is super cute and definitely "pinworthy"! Love it! Stopping by from Wow Us Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the speckled eggs. And the butterflies are the perfect combination! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting us share them on your linky party! :)

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for linking up your beautiful eggs to Dare to Share. I love them so much I am pinning them. Please come back this week, I would love to see more of your great ideas.

    Pam
    http://pamspartyplanning.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pinning! We'll link up again for sure! We love your site!!!

      Delete